Strawberries and Basil are legendary together. Add tequila and this Strawberry Basil Margarita Cocktail is an excellent version of a fantastic cocktail!
I have the best of intentions lately but despite them I’ve been failing at blogging about new dishes and drinks. I have ideas but time is another story so I hope you’ll forgive me if I have history repeat itself and if you’re a newer reader…nevermind! 🙂 In any event I’ll only share again some real favorites that might have been stuck in the past and this Strawberry Basil Margarita is both timely and so delicious it deserves to be re-introduced.
In a nutshell, I thought I could move into a new house with a new yard and be satisfied with whatever the builder’s landscaper threw into the ground. I was wrong. After 22 years of taking a boring and barren yard at my old home and turning it into a little paradise I have no idea why I thought I was done; that anything would suffice with this move.
This is my third summer here but the first one didn’t count; that was all about getting grass in and keeping it and two trees alive. Last year I started making a few changes to replace some foundation plants and this year I’ve gone nuts and finished the front yard, switching out the miserly 7 plants the yard came with and installing my own design and over 30 plants.
With that job almost complete and my poor body aching and sore I’ve cut back a bit this week but by cutting back that just means I’ve planted ten big pots in the back with tomatoes, flowers and herbs. The last to go in was basil.
I’ve planted it earlier before and Colorado’s wacky weather has too often seen it replaced because of a late snow or freeze, so I waited and yesterday got some beautiful plants. With some fresh strawberries in the fridge, it was meant to be that I celebrated a long hot day with one of my favorites; this Strawberry Basil Margarita.
Luckily, strawberries are starting to come into the market that are red and juicy and while I consider summer the ideal time for margaritas, I’ve learned to love making diverse combinations depending on the freshest produce of the season and for this season I simply love the combination of strawberries and basil.
This vibrant and beautiful cocktail is simply a perfect one to serve if you’re like me and need a dose of spring in your glass!
I also made a Fresh Strawberry Pie today…now I’m wondering if I can serve margaritas with pie. Why not, right??? Cheers and Happy Friday!
PIN ‘Strawberry and Basil Margarita Cocktail’
- 8 Medium strawberries
- 6 Basil leaves
- 1 oz simple syrup (make using 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water - heat until sugar has dissolved and then cool. Refrigerate leftovers)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 oz Reposado tequila
- 1 oz orange liqueur (I used Patron's Citronge)
- Additional strawberries, lime slices and basil leaves for garnish
- Use a fresh strawberry to moisten the rim of your glass. Dip the rim in a combination of half salt/half sugar.
- In the glasses, muddle the strawberries, basil,simple syrup, lime juice and lemon juice in glasses.
- Fill glasses with ice.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake vigorously and pour into the rimmed glass filled with fresh ice. Garnish each glass with a strawberry, lime slice and basil leaf.