Truth is, I seldom eat fast food; not because I’m a goody two shoes and my mantra is ‘it shall never pass my lips’ but I think mostly because I work from home and there is nothing ‘fast’ about having to go out for a quick meal. I’ll make a simple pasta or bowl of soup first; heck I’ve even had Cheerios for dinner before thinking of getting in the car to drive somewhere! Still, it happens and this last time I enjoyed something enough to recreate this Burger King Chicken Apple and Cranberry Wrap.
I was running errands and feeling famished and wasn’t going to be home for some time so decided to take the plunge. I saw a Burger King and soon my car was heading through the drive thru. I hadn’t been to a Burger King in years and I was hoping I could just get a Baby Whopper or something…you know, just to tide me over.
Well, son of a gun…they had wraps; see what I miss from never going? The Burger King Chicken Apple and Cranberry Wrap sounded appealing and it was available either grilled or fried; I went all the way bad…yes, it was fried baby!
I can’t deny, I loved it but I also knew that I wanted to make it at home. How hard could that be? It’s not! As much as I enjoyed that crispy fried coating, I don’t do much frying around here so instead decided on a favorite crisp coating for baked chicken. Too much trouble you say? Make it easy on yourself.
I would make these in a heartbeat with grilled, roasted or even leftover stewed chicken. The crumb coating does add some flavor that I loved but if not in the mood? Add a few walnuts and a sprinkle of garlic salt and cayenne to up the ante on the flavor. Beyond that it’s pretty simple stuff and makes for ‘fast food’ dinner that is really fast…it’s all done in your own kitchen!
Chicken Wrap with Apples and Dried Cranberries
For the Chicken Strips:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs crushed
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
For the cranberry spread:
- ¼ cup mayonaise
- ¼ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
- 3 Tbsp dried cranberries
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Wraps:
- Flour Tortillas
- Lettuce of your choice I used spinach
- 2 Gala or Honey Crisp apples chopped
- Cut chicken breasts into one inch wide strips.
- Mix cracker crumbs and seasonings well.
- Dip chicken pieces into egg mixture, then dredge in crumb mixture.
- Place on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375 degrees F, for 10-12 minutes, until crispy on outside and lightly browned; turning once.
To Make the Spread:
- Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream or yogurt, honey, mustard and cranberries and set aside.
- Layer on each tortilla the lettuce, chicken, spread and apples. Fold, serve and enjoy!