Love the idea of homemade pizza but no time to make pizza dough? Try making this Sausage and Green Chile Pizza on Naan Bread; it’s quick, easy and delicious!
I spent weeks mulling over this recipe for Sausage and Hatch Green Chiles on Naan bread, trying to decide exactly what ingredients to use and how to make them all work together OR I cleaned out the fridge and had some things I needed to either use or regretfully lose?
If you guessed the later, you’re on the money! I should really create a new section on this blog for just these type of meals because it happens pretty regularly.
Now that both of my children are grown and I’m an empty nester, I find some old habits (Like Motherhood!) do die hard. Sometimes I buy too much food or have too much in the way of leftovers. So this Sausage and Hatch Green Chile Pizza on Naan Bread is my latest version of Fridge Foods.
The sausage had been thawed for a couple of days; the green chile peppers were left from a bag of Hatch green chiles that I had thawed and used earlier in the week and the cheese was good but had been opened for awhile. I wanted to use it before I regretted that I had not; that is all.
Now my friend Ansh who cooks amazing Indian food (and blogs about it at Spice Roots) might threaten to show up and pop me for not making my own Naan this time, but I love this bread and Costco has it available all the time.
It had already been frozen once and I had 4 pieces in the package…I thought it would be the perfect solution for a quick, pizza type dish and I loved it so much I’m doing that again; it made this pizza the easiest EVER!
I recreated a pizza from a local brewpub several months ago that had jalapeno in the mix; they topped their offering with some cream cheese and that’s just the best bite ever. The combination of heat with the creamy coolness of cream cheese is so perfect that I decided to be redundant and do it again.
It’s also simply a fun surprise. I had never seen cream cheese on pizza before and in both of these applications it’s perfect; it tempers the heat perfectly. I upped the heat ratio of the sausage mixture just a bit with some red pepper so I would say it’s a must!
More great recipes with Hatch green chiles (Sub for any recipe that calls for Poblano with Medium heat Hatch chiles!).
- Hatch Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese
- Hatch Green Chile and Cheese Soup
- Chile Relleno Casserole
- Chile Relleno Soup
- Roasted Poblano Pepper and Corn Soup
I do fridge diving a lot and while I can always find something that makes for a quick meal, it’s not every time that I love something enough to share it with you.
This was so good I should have created it purposely but I’m just glad I did it at all. And trust me, you will see more Naan pizzas. Next time I promise Ansh and I will be making it homemade. I so do not want to get bopped!
PIN IT! ‘Sausage and Hatch Green Chile Pizza on Naan Bread
Hatch Green Chile and Sausage Pizza on Naan Bread
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6-7 oz green chiles fresh, frozen or canned, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 lbs sausage. Italian or breakfast sausage either one. (I thought I had Italian but it turned out to be BRATWURST...and yet it was still good!)
- 1 tsp red pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 slices Naan bread
- 2 cups shredded cheese I combined cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Meat mixture
- 3 oz cream cheese
- Saute onion and peppers in oil until onion is translucent, add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add sausage, removing it from casings and breaking it up if necessary. Cook until sausage is browned.
- Add spices and tomatoes and simmer on medium low for 5 minutes.
- Brush Naan with olive oil. Put 1/4 cup of cheese on each slice. Top with 1/4 of the meat mixture and top the meat with another 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Cut the cream cheese into 16 pieces and roll them into balls; put 4 on each pizza.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until pizza is browned. Cut each pizza into 4 slices and serve.