A lovely, light, and lemony dessert, this Limoncello Cream Cheese Pound Cake is especially nice served with fresh fruit.
This is a very short post today; I’ve got so much on my plate to get done for my Monday post (stay tuned for a most unique challenge) and besides…haven’t you ever just made something, enjoyed it and wanted to share but there really wasn’t a story of significance involved.
Not the same as writer’s block…because there really isn’t anything to write. I saw a cake. I made the cake. I loved the cake and I want to share this Limoncello Cream Cheese Pound Cake. That’s it!
That’s me today. And I did love this cake! After my post for Sugar and Spice Popcorn for the Secret Recipe Club last week, I visited several of the other blogs that had participated. When I came to this post…I just knew I would be making this cake.
I had fresh lemons, ginger, blueberries and raspberries and as importantly…a block of cream cheese in the fridge, so it seemed to be calling my name. That I had guests coming for dinner meant it was in the oven as soon as I pulled the ingredients together…definitely an ‘all systems go’ moment.
The recipe that I discovered on the blog at Cairns Manor is from the book ‘Cake Keeper Cakes‘ by Lauren Chattman. I made a couple of revisions as I am seemingly not capable of NOT doing that (I have a reputation you know and if there is a chance an adult beverage could be added…well, I will!).
I love Limoncello and it seemed the perfect choice for this dessert. I also must say, it was devoured and everyone begged for a slice to take home!
PIN IT! ‘Limoncello Cream Cheese Pound Cake’
- 3 cups cake flour
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 21/2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 11/2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 4 Tbsp Limoncello, optional
- Fresh Fruit for topping - I had blueberries and raspberries but this would also be great with peaches, plums and cherries...or a combination of fruits.
For the Lemon Ginger Glaze:
- 1 cup water
- 1 inch knob of ginger
- Juice of 2 lemons, If using the Limoncello, adjust and use just one lemon
- 1/4 cup Limoncello, optional
- 1-1 1/2 cups sugar (I knew I would be cooking it down a bit and decided to use granulated sugar instead of the original powdered sugar to get a more syrupy consistency.
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower – middle position. Grease a 12 cup Bundt pan and dust with flour. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Combine the butter, cream cheese and sugar in a large mixing bowl until fluffy; 2-3 minutes; scraping the sides when necessary.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat in on medium speed; scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla, ginger, lemon zest and Limoncello.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the flour mixture, one-half cup at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. After you’ve added the last of the flour, mix for an additional 30 seconds or so.
- Spread the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and place the cake in a cold oven. Turn the oven to 325F and bake, without opening the oven door, until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 65 to 80 minutes.
- NOTE:Mine took 65 minutes but in high altitude that's not unusual; so check yours regularly
- Prepare the Glaze
- Combine the water, ginger, sugar, lemon juice and Limoncello. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer 15-20 minutes, allowing it to reduce and thicken. Remove from heat.
- Using a skewer, poke several holes in the bottom of cake at varying depths, and slowly pour three quarters of the glaze over the cake. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert it onto a plate. Pour the remainder of the glaze over the cake and let cool it completely.
A great tasting cake with the freshest of ingredients and a Limoncello glaze to kick it up a notch!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1356Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 644mgCarbohydrates: 305gFiber: 2gSugar: 267gProtein: 9g