A Gin and Pomegranate Cocktail is a refreshing and beautiful cocktail that is perfect all winter, from the December holidays through Valentine’s Day.
Poor Gin. So many people I know who love vodka cocktails turn a blind eye to anything with gin. What a shame; this Gin and Pomegranate Cocktail is a great example of why they need to give gin a chance.
Unfortunately it has a reputation. A reputation that it has the scent and taste of a Christmas tree! Yes, the botanicals that are a part of the distilling process of gin include juniper, but I’ve found that the amount of juniper and the combination of other botanicals make a huge difference.
You can choose to strain this cocktail even though I did not. I like the mouthfeel of the citrus that’s evident as much as the little pomegranate arils that are hidden in the bottom.
New Amsterdam is considered a Contemporary gin. It has noticeable citrus notes and the juniper is less pronounced. I thought it terrific in this cocktail. Serious gin critics bemoan the same thing that I like about it so if Bombay Sapphire is your thing, this probably won’t be. I like both for different cocktails.
Next time you consider picking up any bottle of gin, take a look at the ingredients. Despite juniper being a constant in distilling, different brands include different botanicals. I’ve loved some brands and others…maybe not so much.
I don’t know about you but I used to avoid anything that required the use of pomegranates; they were such a mess to use and while I love them, the mess made me stay away.
I tried different ‘tricks’ to get to their treasure, the seeds, and nothing works as well as the one simple method I use now.
Following tips from the culture they came from; it’s so simple and works so well. Check out this post for the best way to seed a pomegranate; it really does make it easy to make this Gin and Pomegranate Cocktail.
When you’re ready to take a leap of faith, this cocktail is a great first step. However, I’ve made several gin cocktails that I really love, you might want to try experimenting a little bit with gin too!
More Gin Cocktails
- Pink Lady Gin Cocktail
- Gin, Apple Cider, and Ginger Beer Cocktail
- Pomegranate Ginger Sparkler Holiday Cocktail
- Honey Ginger Fizz Cocktail
- Blackberry Gin Sling
- Vodka, Pom Juice and Ginger Beer
- Sparkling Gin and Rosemary Lemonade Cocktail
- Bourbon, Pomegranate and Ginger Beer Cocktail
- Gin, Triple Sec, Cucumber and Mint Cocktail
- Classic Gin and Tonic
- Cranberry Gin Fizz Cocktail
PIN IT! ‘Gin and Pomegranate Cocktail’
Gin and Pomegranate Cocktail
- 4 ounces gin
- 2 ounces pomegranate juice
- 2 ounces lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- Chill 2 martini glasses. Add approximately10 pomegranate seeds to each martini glass.
- Fill cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Add gin, pomegranate juice, lemon juice and simple syrup to cocktail shaker. Shake cocktail vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Pour cocktail into two glasses.
- If desired garnish with either lemon wheel or rosemary sprig.