It’s not like eggnog isn’t decadent enough but still…try adding chocolate and bourbon anyhow for a stellar treat!
I really love eggnog and while I might lament that it is not available year round, the truth is that if it were maybe it wouldn’t be so special? In Denver, we’re very lucky to have a local dairy that does home delivery and makes the best eggnog I have ever had. So thick that when my kids were young, we used to have to cut it with some milk…it really was that rich and creamy and amazing and…well, you get my drift right?
Hats off to Royal Crest Dairy for always doing it right and especially for now being in Sprouts locally…yes! That is was perfect in this cocktail should be no surprise but the combination of eggnog, chocolate and bourbon sure were. I’m in love.
Anyway, I’ve seldom made my own eggnog because I love this brand so much, so this recipe today is not really a recipe for eggnog but one that adds an element I never thought of before and now am wondering why? Chocolate Eggnog with Bourbon? It is seriously OMG amazing; before the holidays are over you simply have to try this. Really why have I never done this before???
If making your own is your thing I did make this eggnog last year. While I will gamble with using fresh eggs in some dishes, when I set out to make an eggnog recipe for a cocktail last year I decided to not risk it for others and I have to be honest, I expected to be disappointed. You know, thinking that somehow the heat would totally ruin the finished result. I was wrong, completely wrong. So if you are inclined to make your own, try this Homemade Vanilla Eggnog with Bourbon which is heated enough to make it safe for all and just add the chocolate component. Have I mentioned it is amazing? I have? More than once? I just can’t get over it!
The most important part of this cocktail is the quality of ingredients. You may not have access to a local product like I do but buy a good product. Use top quality eggnog, chocolate and bourbon and the result will hopefully astound you too. I’m not going to say it again but I could, oh what the heck…it is SO good! I’ve got to get out and find some more eggnog stat…if the word gets out in Denver about this recipe; I won’t be able to find any Royal Crest Dairy Eggnog at Sprouts and it just won’t be the same…so I’m off to the market and you should be too; quick, like a bunny…get your eggnog now!
This is Day Four of my all cocktail initiative for this week; I hope you’re enjoying it as much as I am…Cheers!
PIN IT! ‘Chocolate Eggnog with Bourbon’
Chocolate Eggnog with Bourbon
- 2 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 cups eggnog
- 4-6 oz bourbon I prefer mine on the light side; but it's up to you!
- Shaved chocolate to garnish
- Place chocolate, cocoa powder and milk in a heatproof bowl and put over a bowl of simmering water. Heat and whisk until the chocolate has melted and is incorporated with the milk. Remove from heat and cool.
- Beat eggnog in a stand mixer for about 5 minutes. Lower speed to low and slowly add milk/chocolate mixture and whisk until fully incorporated, about 1 minute. Add bourbon and mix until combined. Chill for at least one hour.
- Divide between glasses and serve garnished with shaved chocolate.