A simple preparation and some of my favorite things and this Chicken Scallopini with Mushrooms is on the table in no time!
True confession. I love chicken. I don’t eat chicken because it’s less expensive than other meats, I eat it because I love how easy it is to prepare and even more how versatile it is. And this Chicken Scallopini with Mushrooms is one of my absolute favorite dishes. The finished result is beyond the ease of preparation.
OK…so another true confession? I was creating this post and playing around with the new hrecipe requirements that Google specs now require. I got a phone call and then…yes I did…I hit publish and don’t even remember doing it!
I almost died when I saw THIS post RT’d on Twitter. So, just like mistakes happen to the best of us in the kitchen, this web person made a big snafu. So…it’s out and whatever story I had to share (which really…was all about how good and how easy this dish is!) will forever be lost. Luckily I had a photo…have never quite sized and edited anything so quickly in my life!
One bit of saving grace? Friends on Twitter and in comments who have made me feel less verklempt. Seems I am not alone in doing that accidental publishing thing…yay team! I say it’s time we petition WordPress to include a warning, ‘Are you sure you’re ready to Publish?’
Still, most importantly is just how delicious this simple dish is, it truly is one of my go to recipes when I have chicken and want something easy and elegant to serve.
Chicken Scallopini with Mushrooms
- 6 boned and skinned chicken breast halves
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ lb. fresh mushrooms sliced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped shallots or 4 green onions chopped|
- White wine or sherry to taste; 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- ⅓ c. chicken broth
- 1 tsp. capers
- ½ c. heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan Cheese to shave on top
- Place breast pieces between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound with a mallet or other flat instrument to a thickness of about 1/8 inch.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. each of butter and oil in skillet. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender. about 5 minutes. Remove mushrooms and reserve.
- Heat remaining butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add breasts and sauté, turning once, until browned, 4-5 minutes total cooking time.
- Add shallots or green onions to pan and cook, scraping bottom until tender about 4 minutes.
- Add white wine (or sherry) and broth, boil, reduce to simmer and cook until liquids are reduced by half.
- Stir in cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms, chicken and capers and simmer to reheat.
- Serve immediately over linguini or steamed rice and serve with a green vegetable.
- Top with Parmesan cheese if desired.