What a week! Yesterday was my birthday and I did a walk through on my new home. It’s my gift to me for every birthday and Christmas yet to come but maybe not this Christmas. They promised I would be in before Christmas but it’s looking a bit iffy; seems inspectors run at their own pace, not those of an anxious to be in her own home again homeowner.
Still, it’s CLOSE and I’m excited. I can’t even remember what I own; I spent a couple of hours the other day looking at benches for my front porch and then remembered I had 2 nice iron chairs and a table for just that purpose. They might be too large but still…I totally spaced that I had them! Seeing my furniture and furnishings again and opening boxes will be my Christmas! While not having any parties this year, just you WAIT for that Open House; I’m SO ready to celebrate!
On Monday I posted a simple stuffed mushroom recipe we loved and today I have another appetizer with pretty much the same criteria. This is the ‘Year of the Quick and Easy!’
Combining warm Brie cheese with apples sauteed in butter and brown sugar is the quintessential description of easy and fabulous. Served simply with some crisp crackers and I believe we were fighting over that last bite (really no exaggeration…I’m sure there was a bidding war that took place!). A really elegant yet simple appetizer.
Using the right apple when cooking is so important. Red delicious apples are such a pretty red color but I think they are also my least favorite apple; I used to think OK for eating out of hand but today I no longer find them appealing as they always seem a bit too grainy for my taste; they are definitely too sweet and soft for success when cooking. A tart Granny Smith apple is a good choice for apple dishes that require a long cooking time and have abundant sugar added but they’re not my favorite either. Try finding some Honey Crisp, Fuji, Braeburn, Jongold, Pippins, Pink Ladys, Jonathans or Cameos. All of these are good for eating out of hand, for use with caramel apples and equally good for baking or this delicious appetizer. I could have eaten this all by myself. Maybe if I get in my house soon that’s exactly what I will do! So. there.
Caramelized Apple and Toasted Walnut Brie
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 Small red apple, cored and sliced or chopped
- 1 tablespoon Granulated sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) room-temperature, ripe, round California Brie cheese
- 1/4 cup Toasted, coarsely chopped California walnuts
- Melt butter in 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add apple slices and sugar; sauté, tossing occasionally, until apples are soft and golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Let apple slices cool slightly. Carefully place chopped apple or fan apple slices over cheese; sprinkle with walnuts.
- May be served right away, or chill if to be served later and also may be prepared several hours in advance. Serve at room temperature, accompany with assorted crackers and bread slices.
Want More Cocktails? Check out Friday Cocktails with hundreds of fantastic drinks! →