Fall is definitely here. We have some nice warm days but I know when the season has arrived…a certain chill in the evening air and my bare feet are once again covered with thick plush socks. But that doesn’t mean I’m done grilling; not by a long shot. I am so happy to have my new grill on my porch; that’s where it really works for me. It’s close, it’s covered and it’s easy which is why dishes like this Barbecue Chicken with Peach Barbecue Sauce are SO easy once again!
I love working with barbecue sauces but to tell you the truth, this recipe was really not meant to be a recipe at all. I didn’t sit and write and fiddle and test; nope, I threw some stuff together to make a quick dinner and it was just so good I decided at last minute to share it. I think my photos sort of back that up…but it was dinner, I was hungry, and photos were snapped very quickly!
One of my favorite things to use in barbecue sauces are jams; especially as the summer fruit season is ending and finding fresh fruit is on the wane. I love using cherry, peach and apricot jams the most and not just in sauces either. Think of how you could also use those in cocktails; no need to forgo a Cherry Smash except in summer, now you can have one all year round.
I’ll be honest, I used my homemade Bourbon Peach Jam but of course you don’t have to make the jam first in order to enjoy this sauce; add a bit of bourbon to the mix if you want to; that will do the trick nicely. Some prepared barbecue sauce, some jam and a few extra spices and this takes mundane to amazing.
I hope you’re like me and you grill all year round but if not, get out there one last time at least and try this Barbecue Chicken with Peach Barbecue Sauce. I almost cried while eating the last peace; it was really that good!
Barbecue Chicken with Peach Barbecue Sauce
To Make the Chicken::
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 T cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 3-4 lbs boneless chicken thighs
For the Barbecue Sauce:
- ½ cup prepared barbecue sauce
- ½ cup peach preserves
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
Make the Dry Rub:
- Combine the brown sugar, paprika, cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt and pepper in a container and mix well. Season the chicken generously with the rub and make sure all the pieces get covered. Put the chicken in the fridge for 4-24 hours.
To Make the Chicken:
- Remove the chicken from the rub and grill on medium - medium high heat for approximately 15 minutes. (if your grill runs hot go for medium; we don't want burnt chicken!)
- In the meantime combine all of the sauce ingredients. Once the chicken is almost done, slather it with the sauce and continue to grill until done; adding more sauce as necessary. Remove from heat; dollop with remaining sauce and serve.