What’s more fun than revisiting our youth occasionally…and doing it with a drink that appeals to the adults we’ve become. This Orange Creamsicle Cocktail is one of the best!
Every afternoon about 2pm I can hear the sound in the distance. It starts as a faint tinkle that you might confuse with the wind chimes across the street but it doesn’t take long to realize it’s a sound from my childhood heralding the ice cream man. Made me yearn for an Orange Creamsicle so I made this Orange Creamsicle Cocktail!
I hadn’t heard that sound in years and it takes all the willpower I have to not run outside in my bare feet with my quarter (kidding!) and stand in a line I know must be 10 kids long just to get my favorite cool and creamy treat; an orange creamsicle.
I never wavered; it was always the same thing. Something about the combination of creamy vanilla ice cream and the bit of tang from orange sherbet always did it for me.
Is it any wonder that as an adult I would have to ‘boozify’ it and make an adult Orange Creamsicle Cocktail? I am reminded of that treat at least a couple of times a week and decided it was time to make my own. Barb Style. You know what that means right? Booze.
Not a lot but a little kick was fun and I now have a favorite summer treat with this Orange Creamsicle Cocktail that is not for kids but for their parents!
My taste tester was my neighbor Rick across the street. He guzzled it down like it was boozeless, he said he could not help himself; I said remember that in a few minutes when you’re back to working on your deck. 🙂
I used a new vodka for this treat. VDKA 6100 Vodka is backed by Australian casino mogul James Packer and actor Robert De Niro.
De Niro is quite the entrepreneur and has significant investments in Nobu Hospitality Group, Tribeca Grill, Locanda Verde, and the Tribeca Film Festival (which this year served as the launch event for VDKA 6100).
He is known for taking an active role in his investments, which may help keep VDKA 6100 from being yet another celebrity spirit.
An interesting note to this vodka is the use of whey as source material. While vodka can be made from any number of materials including wheat, corn, potatoes and rye there aren’t a ton of restrictions on the source materials you can use
Distillers can use pretty much anything that can be broken down into fermentable sugar as the source for vodka, as long as it’s distilled to near neutrality. While whey isn’t a very common vodka source it can be transformed into alcohol with the right kind of yeast.
Although it has an Australian inspired name from the country code 6100 for Perth, Australia (Packer has major properties in Perth), the vodka itself comes from New Zealand, where the whey is sourced from grass-fed cow’s milk.
These Orange Creamsicle Cocktails were perfect; cool and creamy and tangy with orange and just enough vodka and orange liqueur to elevate them from ice cream bars to cocktails. Easy too. What are you waiting for…bet you can hear that same music I did and these are a fun way to take a trip back in time with an updated adult treat. Cheers!
More of Our Favorite Ice Cream Treats
- Boozy Salted Caramel Milkshake
- Bourbon Milkshake with Hot Fudge
- Chocolate Gelato with Bourbon and Chocolate Chips
- Gin and Strawberry Milkshake
- Spiked Thin Mint Shake
- Broncos Orange Crush Cocktail
- Adult Mocha Shake with Strawberries
Beer Float and Milkshakes
- Guinness Float with Irish Cream Liqueur
- Guinness Vanilla Malted Milkshake
- Guinness Vanilla Malted Milkshake
Favorite Ice Creams
- Old-Fashioned Butter Brickle Ice Cream
- Black Forest Ice Cream Sundaes
- Blueberry Mojito Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chunk Coconut Ice Cream
- Strawberry Ricotta Gelato Fizz
PIN IT! ‘Orange Creamsicle Cocktail’
Orange Creamsicle Cocktail
- 2 ounces Vodka
- ½ ounce orange liqueur triple sec
- 4 ounce Orange Juice
- ¾ cup vanilla ice cream
- ¼ cup orange sherbet
- 2 ice cubes
- 4 ounces Orange soda chilled
- Orange slices and maraschino cherries for garnish optional
- Put your glass in the freezer 15 minutes before preparing the cocktail. (This fills a large glass; if you have smaller ones it will equate to two servings)
- Combine vodka, orange liqueur, orange juice, vanilla ice cream, orange sherbet and ice cubes in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Fill chilled glass(es) 3/4 full and top off each glass with orange soda.
- Garnish with orange slices and cherries.