Sparkling Blood Orange and Pomegranate Punch is a stellar addition to a holiday gathering. Perfect from Fall through the New Year, it’s easy and delicious.
I wanted to make a cocktail specific for Halloween and my efforts resulted in this Sparkling Blood Orange and Pomegranate Punch; way too pretty and way to perfect for the winter holiday season to relegate it to one cold, dark day in October. Of course you could still make it for Halloween, but don’t forget it after that.
It’s a great addition to your Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years Day festivities; the color is vibrant and beautiful and the flavor a great justaposition of seasonal blood oranges and pomegranates.
This makes enough for a crowd; enough for two cocktails for a party of eight but you can cut it in half if your needs are smaller. I would do the whole batch and have it on hand in the fridge, just hold off on the sparkling wine and pour it per serving.
These were fun and something I need to do more often. I made ice cubes using the sparkling soda so the drink was pretty but also not watered down with ice. I have this cool little mini ice cube tray but regular will work fine too; it’s a great idea to keep the drink cold without diluting the best part. The rum. 🙂
The only hang up is waiting for blood oranges to flood the market; if you can’t find them, certainly substitute another type for the garnish. Cara Cara would be another great choice with it’s pinkier flesh. Truth be told it’s a bit ahead of blood orange season but I can see this gorgeous punch throughout the upcoming holidays; it really is a beautiful color and a great refreshing drink.
I actually used a bit less rum than the recipe calls for when I made it for the group I was serving it to so certainly adjust up or down for your own personal tastes.
Wishing you a safe, warm, and wonderful holiday season!
- 1 bottle (32 oz) blood-orange sparkling soda, chilled
- 1 jar (32oz) pomegranate juice, chilled
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) natural orange soda, chilled
- 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- (1) 750ml bottle of light rum
- 5 dashes bitters (I used Fee Brothers Cranberry Bitters)
- 1 blood orange, or regular orange, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges and frozen
- Combine 3/4 cup each of blood-orange soda and pomegranate juice and fill ice cube trays; freeze.
- To make punch, combine the remainder of the juice and soda, lime juice, rum, and bitters into a 16-cup punch bowl. Before serving, add frozen orange slices. Add juice ice cubes as needed to keep chilled.
- Garnish individual glasses with orange slices.