Whether you’re hosting a get together or just want to make something special for your family, this Smoky Beef, Bacon and Bourbon Chili will win them over!
I volunteered to bring a pot of chili to a neighborhood get together and had planned to bring my daughter’s Three Bean Chili that highlighted a chili Emily had made that won the ‘Best’ award at her company’s annual event a couple of years. When I realized I had already included it in these pages, I decided instead to make this Smoky Beef, Bacon and Bourbon Chili.
When I realized I had made her recipe before, I scrambled and dove into my pantry. I spied just enough ingredients to put something else together. Not a chili bean in site but some garbanzo beans and black beans did the trick and really, once you add them to beef, bacon and bourbon…do the beans really matter?
This was such a hodgepodge (wow, that’s an old fashioned word isn’t it?) but one that really succeeded. The smokiness of the Chipotle peppers combined with some molasses for sweetness was a perfect compliment to this bacon heavy version of chili.
To tell you the truth if my pantry had been filled with more ingredients I would have doubled this in a heartbeat. It does have a nice smoky heat to it but if heat is not your friend, halve the amount of Chipotle chiles but don’t leave them out entirely. Please?
They provide such a great flavor but beyond that, they are tempered quite nicely with the dollop of cool sour cream on top. This Smoky Beef, Bacon and Bourbon Chili was an altogether delicious dish.
Planning to host or attend a Super Bowl Party? I’ve published a week of good eats that would be great for the game this weekend, a ski trip if you’re so inclined or to be honest, just for you…sometimes you just have to treat yourself! They include:
- Bacon Wrapped Pretzels with Brown Sugar and Cayenne Glaze
- Blood Orange Cosmopolitan
- Slow Cooker Sweet, Spicy and Sticky Chicken Wings
- Totally Decadent Hot Chocolate with Amaretto
- Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats
I’ll wrap up my week of party fare tomorrow with a cocktail too…trying now to decide…cranberry or lemon…hmm?
PIN IT! ‘Smoky Beef, Bacon, and Chipotle Chili’
Smoky Beef and Bourbon Chili
- ½ lb bacon diced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried sage
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
For the Sauce:
- ¾ cup bourbon
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 can 7 oz Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce, peppers only, chopped
- 1 can 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 can 15 1/2 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15 1/2 oz. garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup sour cream or yogurt
- Tortilla Chips
- Parsley or Cilantro
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook bacon until done but not crisp. Drain fat. Add beef, bourbon, garlic, oregano, sage and onion. Cook until meat is browned, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Put beef mixture into slow cooker and add all sauce ingredients. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- To serve, garnish bowls with sour cream, tortillas and parsley. Serve with additional tortilla chips.