I think nothing easier or more satisfying than a bowl of homemade soup. This Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup with Garlic Croutons is fantastic!
We all have those moments I’m assuming when it’s time to eat, we’ve had a crazy busy day and our resources are just drained. That was me the other day when I made this Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup with Garlic Croutons.
Seems the same was true of some of my tweeps on Twitter so several decided it was time for pizza. I love great pizza but was a little stuck because I just don’t love most of the stuff that is available for home delivery.
I decided I would just have to bite the bullet and make something and my favorite go to dish on night like this is a wonderful tomato, butter and onion spaghetti sauce. Except I had just made that not too many days ago so had one of those light bulb moments when I thought…soup, I’ll just use the canned tomatoes for cream of tomato soup.
I had just roasted an entire bag of peeled garlic; buying that bag was an experiment that did not work. I simply do not use enough garlic to go through one of those bags before the cloves start to show signs of diminishing value so to conserve the value; I roasted all of them and will freeze them for use in soups and other dishes so the timing was perfect.
The last time I made some quick tomato soup, I tried roasting the tomatoes beforehand. I can’t say that the effort or mess led to such a great result that it was something I felt repeating…particularly since I was in the mood for quick and easy so that’s what I made it.
A quick saute of some onions, the addition of the tomatoes, garlic and some milk and I had what I didn’t even know I had been craving…a warm satisfying meal that took me all of 20 minutes to complete, including the homemade croutons!
I love my mixer and my food processor but I think if given a choice of only one instrument I might have to pick my immersion blender; at times like this it’s what made this dish so easy without the need for additional cleanup of a larger appliance. Yay! I don’t blend the soup until it’s entirely smooth; preferring to leave a bit of texture; I like that mouth feel.
Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup with Garlic Croutons
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 cloves of roasted garlic
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 14- ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup milk or half and half or a combination of the two
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Croutons
- 2-3 slices bread
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- In a medium large pot, heat butter and olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the tomatoes and blend with the flour and onion mixture and cook until it thickens.
- Add milk or half and half. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Keep on low heat while you make the croutons.
- To Make the Croutons
- Melt butter in large skillet and add garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix well. Add bread and mix thoroughly trying to coat all bread with some of the butter. Cook over medium-low heat, turning often until brown and crispy.
- Put the soup in bowls and top each serving with garlic croutons.