A delicious treat combining a banana cake with a maple and bourbon sauce.
It’s interesting the things I’m finding as I unpack in my new home. Wanting to make everything in this space have a purpose, I’m combining and categorizing and yes, pitching to accomplish that. With so much going out I’m really glad I saved the magazine with this Maple Bourbon Banana Pudding Cake!
I had not had the chance to read any of my cooking magazines since living in temporary quarters. There simply was no space for me to ‘relax.’ I was either working at a table or sequestered in my bedroom. Funny how I longed for my sofa or even a chair to just relax and read.
What that has meant is that I now have a plethora of books and magazines that have never been opened and I’m going through them steady and sure. I always find something I want to make in either Bon Appetit of Food and Wine and now I have a bunch of new ideas…I best get cooking huh?
One of the first things I saw that just called my name was this dish from Grace Parisi. It’s appeal was both practical in that I had a banana I needed to use, and timely because it was easy.
There is no story today about a family heirloom or something my children loved; especially after a week of dealing with a miserable cold that has seen me want to sleep more than cook. This dish seemed like the perfect comfort food though and it has been that.
Originally made by Grace as a dessert and suggested it be served with ice cream, I’ve actually enjoyed it most in the mornings with a cup of coffee. The cake is moist, dense and so flavorful but what makes it really special is the mixture of maple syrup, brown sugar and bourbon that is drizzled over the batter.
This mixture disappears under the cake dough and helps to create a thick, wonderful syrup at the bottom of the pan that has a definite banana flavor to it too. I could have just eaten all of that with a spoon; but that wouldn’t have been fair to everyone else, right?
The results of this cake were stellar; it’s ease of preparation puts it firmly at the top of my list for company. I still have some left..coming over?
Maple Bourbon Banana Pudding Cake
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup superfine sugar
- 1 banana over ripe, mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- ¼ cup pecans finely chopped
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a deep, 2-quart baking or soufflé dish, melt the butter in the microwave. Whisk in the superfine sugar and banana, mashing until thoroughly combined. Whisk in the egg and milk.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt; whisk into the baking dish until combined (the batter will be pretty loose).
- In a microwave-safe cup, heat the maple syrup, light brown sugar and 1/2 cup of hot water at high power until hot, 1 minute. Add the bourbon. Drizzle the syrup mixture over the batter; it will seep to the bottom. Do not stir. Scatter the pecans on top.
- Set the dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, until the cake is golden. Let cool for 5 minutes, then scoop into bowls and serve with ice cream. Drizzle some of the syrup in the bottom over the cake.