Reminiscent of a margarita, the Lemonade and Tequila Cocktail is lighter and refreshing; a welcome drink in the heat of summer!
OK, well yesterday was officially National Lemonade Day but, but, but…I do cocktails on Friday; what was I to do? I say better late than never right? And believe me, this Lemonade and Tequila Cocktail really fills the bill.
Be thankful I decided to post it a day late; it is almost the perfect late summer libation. At least for someone like me. I hang onto summer tooth and nail. I honestly do not get the excitement over Fall; I mean I guess Fall is OK but what comes next? WINTER?
Cold, snowy, icy, did I say cold…winter? Ugh. Not being a skier I’m a Coloradan that loves the warmer months in our state. The low humidity, cool nights, no bugs months when my garden is in bloom and I can enjoy the flowers, herbs and tomatoes and every meal is eaten outdoors on my patio enjoying those fruits of my labor.
Winter? Stuck inside with a shiver is all I can think of…so I’m not ready til I have to get out a shovel…and I’m hoping that’s not for at least two more months!
So summer it still is and I only wish I had discovered this lemonade gem earlier. In keeping with many other cocktails I make, the lemon is balanced a bit with a touch of lime and the finished drink has just a touch of fizz from some ginger ale.
Seriously if one can find true love in a drink; I’m there even if it means cheating on my first love, a margarita. I can’t take credit for this though; the folks at Hornitos Tequila asked if I would like to feature their recipe and now I will love them forever.
As a matter of fact, look for a series of cocktails I will be creating for Hornitos through the next couple of months. This cocktail was made with Hornitos Plata (aka Blanco or silver), a 100% agave tequila.
It’s a straightforward, unaged tequila, very crisp with that trademark tequila “kick,” an almost medicinal note that doesn’t make for great sipping in my opinion but is great for mixing and was a fine choice for this lemonade.
Definitely some of the same elements you’ll find in my favorite margarita but still so different and so very good. It’s only August and I know it’s crying for a great end of summer drink…this is it! Join me won’t you?
PIN ‘Lemonade and Tequila Cocktail’
- 2 oz Hornitos® Plata Tequila
- 1 1/2 oz Lemonade (see notes to make your own)
- 1/2 oz Lime Juice
- 1 1/2 oz Ginger Ale
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the tequila, lemonade and lime juice and shake until ice cold.
- Fill a Collins glass with ice; pour the contents of the shaker over the ice and top with Ginger Ale.
- Stir. Garnish with a lemon slice and be sure to include a straw!
Use any lemonade you want but if you want to make your own like I did it's easy.
- 1 cup lemon juice (approximately 6 lemons)
- 3/4-1 cup simple syrup to taste (make simple syrup by combining 1/2 cup water with 1 cup sugar and heating til sugar dissolves. Add 1/2 cup of ice chips to mixture and stir; refrigerate if necessary.
- Combine the lemon juice and simple syrup in a pitcher and stir. BEST lemonade ever!