These Bacon Wrapped Pretzel Rods with Brown Sugar and Cayenne Glaze are simply indescribable. Crunchy, chewy, salty, hot, and sweet? Yes…perfection!
I first published this post for Bacon Wrapped Pretzel Rods with Brown Sugar and Cayenne Glaze in 2009, back when I was still just putting some recipes online and maybe taking a quick snap with a small point and shoot camera. The photos were so bad and these are so good so I decided it was time for a redo.
These goodies have an addictive quality I can not deny. But I’m OK with that…I’ll watch the booze and beer intake carefully but this addiction I’m never going to quit. I thought it time to take some better snaps and share the bounty with my blog readers; you deserve to join me! Try these Bacon Wrapped Pretzels with Brown Sugar and Cayenne Glaze and you will see the light!
Before many of us started scattering around the country, I had a great group of girlfriends that would meet regularly at my home each summer for a Girls Nite In. I made my favorite margaritas and they all brought snacks and we would just gab and drink and eat til we could no more.
I remember the night my oldest daughter ‘auditioned’ for the executive direction of a Chamber of Commerce we all belonged to, and where we met. I had offered Emily’s voice to sing the Star Spangled Banner before a 5K race that was held on Thanksgiving Day. Julie, the director needed to hear her first.
What can I say…I thought she should take my word for it, but she insisted and she was the boss of the Chamber so I asked Em to drop by, she went out into the backyard and sang the song A cappella.
When she had finished, you could hear catcalls coming from neighboring houses that we couldn’t even see and then Julie turned around, tears in her eyes, and said. “I will never not take your word for anything again.” Whew. I know I’m her mom and all but her voice is truly magnificent!
We even wore our PJ’s for the events although everyone actually went home; it made us feel like we were girls again! I will never forget the words on the hand written recipe card that my friend Stacy gave me for these treats that we all loved so much. We pretty much demanded she bring them to our summer soiree every year; it went something like this:
Do not proceed if you are looking for a low fat or low calorie dish!
Have to admit, she is right but for the occasional treat, they are SO good! I mean so decadently good!
Bacon. Pretzel. Brown Sugar. Cayenne Pepper. Really…what’s not to love right? Sweet, salty, hot, crunchy; this one will tickle all of your taste buds. Bless Stacy’s heart, she followed through each and every year and we, or at least I, looked forward to them with great anticipation. I only hope she has shared them as generously in Seattle. Yes I miss her too!
Since Stacy moved, the baton had to be passed and I’ve made these several times over the years, I’m mostly reminded of those fun evenings during the summer and I’ll have a craving. A bad one when I realize I can no longer survive without this indulgence.
Besides, it was time to make them and remember to capture a photo before they disappeared so that I could share them with you! But it does not mean you can blame me for wanting to eat them all (I didn’t because I had company coming but I assure you I think I could have!).
Bet you can’t eat just one.
More of my Favorite Pretzel Dishes!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake with Pretzel Crust
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Baileys Salted Caramel and Espresso Martini with Pretzel Rim
PIN ‘Bacon Wrapped Pretzel Rods with Brown Sugar and Cayenne Glaze’
Bacon Wrapped Pretzels with Brown Sugar and Cayenne Pepper
- 12 oz Pretzel Rods
- 1 pound Bacon NOT thick cut
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp Red Chili Powder or most to taste if you want them real spicy
- Dash Cayenne Pepper Use more if you want hot spicy
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Break the pretzels in half; I actually have the best luck if I cut them with a very sharp knife.
- Cut the bacon slices into half.
- Mix the sugar, chili powder and cayenne in a medium size bowl and then spread it out on a large flat dish.
- Coat each strip of bacon on both sides with the brown sugar mixture.Press firmly to make sure a lot of it adheres to the bacon.
- Wrap the bacon around the pretzel.
- Place the delicious treat on a wire rack placed on top of a baking sheet or roasting pan; I try to make sure that the tail end of the bacon I just wrapped is on the bottom to try and avoid having it 'unwrap' during cooking.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until bacon cooks and appears crisp.
- IMPORTANT: Let cool on wire rack and rearrange occasionally while cooling so they don't stick to rack. Do not put these on paper towels; they are sticky.
- For Easy clean up: I line a baking sheet that has sides with aluminum foil. After they are baked and removed to a serving dish, the foil is pitched and I fill the baking sheet with hot water. Put the wire rack in there to soak a bit and the caramel bacon yucky stuff will melt away. (Sorry but not true about the fat on our thighs after eating the entire batch of bacon pretzels!).
- As tempting as it might be; do not take a bite straight out of the oven. Your tongue will thank me.