Apple and Toasted Walnut Bread combines two of my favorites into one hearty and delicious bread; perfect with coffee or tea!
This recipe for Apple and Toasted Walnut Bread has been one I’ve used for years and like many, I no longer have any idea where it originally came from. A friend at some point in time wrote the ingredients and directions on a card and I found it when going through a shopping bag of newspaper clippings and more that I discovered tucked away in my closet when I was moving.
That brown paper bag is filled with some favorites and I plan to resurrect them as I can. Included is a recipe for Beef Wellington that I made once for a dinner party; that dish took me three days to complete and I will never forget that I wanted to sob when there was not one bite left after our guests left.
Oh I was pleased they loved it too but I so wanted just one more bite. Guess I do need to make it again don’t I?
It is just perfect. Perfect for me is a bread that is chock full of chopped apples and toasted walnuts. Those toasted walnuts were my only revision to this old girl.
I’ve never been as fond of foods with walnuts as I have if I used pecans. Who knew it was because I didn’t care for ‘raw’ walnuts? Toasted I love! So that’s standard practice now; if I’m using walnuts; I toast them.
This is the perfect time of year for this Apple and Toasted Walnut Bread; apples in all colors and sizes are available. I like the ones that are not as tart as Granny Smith but still hold up during baking and don’t turn to mush.
I will use Gala, Jonagold or Honey Crisp or a combination of all three. Of note? I don’t peel these either. Trust me you don’t need to! I’m going to start a cause and would love to see all people who previously thought apples had to be peeled unite. Want to join us? All you have to do is make this bread and leave the peels on and you’re in!
Seriously the best and so easy too; you really must try this bread!
Apple and Toasted Walnut Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely chopped apples
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts toasted
- Preheat oven to 350° In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened (batter will be thick). Fold in apples and walnuts.
- Put mixture into two greased 8×4-in. loaf pans. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.