Fresh and filled with garden flavors, this Pasta with Broccoli, Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Parmesan Cheese is one of our favorites!
I originally posted this recipe for Pasta with Broccoli, Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Parmesan Cheese several years ago; after having it for dinner last night I thought it deserved more attention and Wayback Wednesday was the perfect vehicle.
A pasta recipe combining broccoli, mushrooms and tomatoes seems in line with current trends that have seen pasta (and pizza) move from the realm of red sauce and meats to a variety of combinations that favor vegetables and what I consider a white sauce (typically made with olive oil and/or butter).
So it might be surprising to know it’s from a cookbook that was my mother’s and is most likely from the late 50’s. It’s one of my all time favorites and I love that it’s SO old yet so current too!
I now have the cookbook from Sacred Heart Parish in Florissant, MO in my library. It’s tattered and certainly worn and is typical of cookbooks put together by church groups. It’s bound with a red plastic spiral binder and several pages are missing from the back. I must have ‘borrowed’ this from my mother many, many years ago.
What’s amusing even to me is that I have never used it but for two recipes; both of which I love. This pasta and another one for zucchini bread.
I think this dish is most fabulous during the summer with the freshest of ingredients from the garden but I had an abundance of broccoli; some decent Roma tomatoes on the windowsill and a huge package of mushrooms that I needed to use so it was dinner last night.
I’ve made some modifications from the original recipe. It calls for 1 pound of pasta and I think that is an LOT; I like a higher veggie to pasta ratio when I make it. I’ve also cut back on the butter which originally calls for one cup and even then I’ve substituted some of the butter with olive oil; I like using the two combined together.
It results in both great flavor and while not less calories, less saturated fats! Do make sure you put the mushrooms and tomatoes in the bowl first and let the hot pasta steam them for a few minutes before mixing with the remaining ingredients; the mushrooms need that little bit of ‘cooking’ time to be just right!
I just love this combination of ingredients; you must try it!
- 2-3 cups broccoli florets
- 12 oz spaghetti noodles
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato, Original recipe calls for peeled tomatoes but truth is, I just don't do that, ever!
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- More Parmesan to sprinkle on top
- Simmer broccoli in approximately 2 quarts of salted hot water for a few seconds.
- Add uncooked spaghetti and cook for 8 minutes. (I prefer thin spaghetti...so adjust accordingly if you do and add to water after a couple of minutes).
- Put mushrooms and tomatoes in bottom of serving bowl.
- Drain broccoli and spaghetti in colander and put on top of vegetables in bowl and let it sit for a minute.
- Add Parmesan, butter, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper; toss together and serve with some additional Parmesan grated on top.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g